THE TRAIL PHOENIX RISES!!
It is on. Festival Trail Run goes ahead. Despite the challenges posed by the worst natural disaster in the history of the Garden Route, organisers of the Featherbed Trail Run have announced that thanks to the timely intervention of Bayport Financial Services, the official Trail Run of the Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival will go ahead as scheduled.
The route will change, the timing will change, the logistics will change but that unique Knysna feeling that the event is famous for will be stronger than ever. (Full Media Release: THE TRAIL PHOENIX RISES)
Just like the mythological bird – the phoenix – Knysna reemerges from its own ashes – reborn, renewed, and very much alive.
Stuart Stone, Chief Executive Officer at Bayport, says that the company was both devastated by the tragedy but at the same time inspired by the care and compassion South Africans showed their fellow citizens affected by the fire. “We have witnessed a national relief effort from all sectors of society and in that spirit we at Bayport feel compelled to support the run and ensure that Knysna and surrounding towns benefit from a successful Oyster Festival that no doubt is an important contributor to the local economy.”
THE FEATHERBED TRAIL RUN 2017 will go into the history books as the BAYPORT PHOENIX RUN 2017.
CHANGES TO THE EVENT:
You will appreciate that there are tremendous logistical and administrative challenges with the entire rerouting of the event. We understand that some of these changes may affect your own planning of the day and we regret any inconveniences caused – but we urge you to embrace these changes with the spirit with which the event is presented.
The race will take place on Tuesday 11th July 2017 during the Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival.
RACE REGISTRATION, HQ & FINISH: Cruise Café Restaurant, Remembrance Drive, off Waterfront Drive, Knysna
RACE START: Buffalo Bay Main Beach
WHAT ARE THE DISTANCES AND PROFILES?
GREAT WHITE : 21 km
The 2017 event introduces a NEW ROUTE to its portfolio for the more ambitious runners – 21km of pure Trail Running Paradise – offering incredible views of the Knysna Lagoon and the Ocean – this one is not to be missed if you love the trails. Its called the GREAT WHITE for a reason!
Registration Cruise Cafe: 7.00am
Taxis depart in Remembrance Drive (in front of Cruise Cafe): 7.30 until 8.45am
Start Time: 9.30am
Elevation Gain: 550 meters
COELACANTH TRAIL RUN : 15 KM
Start Time: 9.30am
Elevation Gain: 300 meters
SEAHORSE TRAIL RUN: 11.0 KM
Elevation Gain: 240 meters
NEED TO KNOW
- The Run will now start on the beach in Buffalo Bay and finish as always at the Cruise Café.
- Registration will be at the Cruise Café
- Three distances will still be on offer with two starts.
- 9.30 am START: 15km Coelacanth & 21km Great White
- 11.00am START: 11km Seahorse
- Taxi Transport will be available from the Cruise Café to the start but self-drive is welcome. The Buffalo Bay start is a 25 minute drive from the Cruise Café. The last departure of the Taxis will be 45 minutes prior to the start of the event. DO NOT WAIT FOR THE LAST TAXI.
- Your extra warm clothing will be transported from the start back to the finish and can be collected after finishing the race.
- One Waterpoint – brought to you by SEEF Knysna.
- A post-race meal will be served at the Cruise Café.
- Prize Giving will be at 12.30pm.
- Online entries close Thursday 6 July 8pm.
- From 7 – 10 July, you can enter at Earth Scout, Knysna Waterfront (10am – 4pm). Late entries on the day at race registration, Cruise Cafe Restaurant.
For more information on all TRAIL TOWN Events – including the Featherbed Trail Run – go to www.trailtown.net.